Velu Balasubramanian (Dr. B), MD, MS
Open Heart Surgery,
and Thoracic Surgery
Schedule an Appointment
To schedule an appointment with Velu Balasubramanian (Dr. B), please call 319-861-7200
Areas of Interest
Dr. Balasubramanian specializes in coronary artery bypass grafting, aortic valve procedures and lung cancer surgery.
- Dr. Balasubramanian (Dr. B), MD, MS, on His Background
- Dr. Balasubramanian (Dr. B), MD, MS, on Why He Chose to Practice at Mercy
- Dr. Balasubramanian (Dr. B), MD, MS, on the Future of the Mercy Cardiothoracic & Vascular Clinic
- Dr. Balasubramanian (Dr. B), MD, MS, on What's Most Satisfying About His Job
- Dr. Balasubramanian (Dr. B), MD, MS, on What He Enjoys Outside of Work
- Dr. Balasubramanian (Dr. B), MD, MS, on His Name
Year began practicing: 2015
Year joined staff: 2021
Year began practicing in specialty: 2021
Education and Training
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay, Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Master of Science in Electrical Engineering
- Indiana University School of Medicine, Doctor of Medicine
- University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics, six-year Integrated Thoracic Surgery Residency in Cardiothoracic Surgery
- Society of Thoracic Surgeons (STS)
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society
- Gold Humanism Honor Society (GHHS)
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- American College of Surgeons (ACS)
Honors, Awards, etc.
- Alpha Omega Alpha (AOA) Medical Honor Society Inductee
- North America Cardiothoracic Surgery “Jeopardy” Competition Finalist
- Arnold P. Gold Foundation Humanism & Excellence in Teaching Award
- American College of Surgeons Award
- Sigma Alpha Lambda Honor Society Inductee
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society Inductee
- Pittman Surgical Scholarship Recipient
- Janice M. Pascuzzi Scholarship Recipient
- Class of 1942, 1976 and 1978 merit scholarships during medical school
- National Society of Collegiate Scholars Inductee
Board Eligible/Certified in Cardiothoracic Surgery
Dr. B loves spending time with his dogs, traveling, photography, hiking, biking and watching movies.
Mercy Medical Center welcomes Velu Balasubramanian, MD, (Dr. B) as our new cardiothoracic surgeon to assist the progression of its open heart surgery program.
Dr. B received his medical degree from the Indiana University School of Medicine and completed his integrated residency at the University of Iowa Hospital & Clinics, where he completed a six-year training in cardiothoracic surgery. Prior to pursuing his medical career, Dr. B worked as an engineer designing microprocessors for Intel.
His interests are in coronary artery disease and revascularization; transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR); minimally invasive and open heart valve procedures; minimally invasive and robotic thoracic surgery for lung cancer; and general thoracic surgery.
“It’s a privilege to be a cardiothoracic surgeon,” Dr. B said. “Caring for someone, being trusted and the gratitude for being a part of helping my patients through a difficult time in their life never gets old.”
Dr. Balasubramanian sees patients at the Mercy Cardiothoracic & Vascular Clinic on the fourth floor of the 8th & 8th Medical Park building.